Sunday, February 7, 2010

Easton's Rash/Hives and Linds's Trip to the ER

Friday was a bad day in the Hatch household. I started to get a headache early in the afternoon while spending some time with my sister-in-laws, mom, and niece and nephew. Then as we were getting ready to leave my dad's office for a little visit from the grandkids, I noticed Easton's hands were swollen and that he was getting little red bumps on his face and the back of his neck. I quickly called our pediatrician and they stated that they wanted him to come in asap because he had been on amoxicillin for a week and were concerned he was having an allergic reaction. They got us in to our doctor immediately and I knew it was bad as I got him undressed and he had hives from head to toe. Our doctor was sure that he had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin and immediately gave him a syringe of Benedryl. We went on our way with instructions to continue the Benedryl every 6 hours. Meanwhile, while driving home I began to feel light-headed and short of breath. Things continued to get worse and I begin to feel pain in my heart and tightness in my chest. I told Dane we needed to go to the hospital because something wasn't right. We loaded into the car and I felt so lethargic all the way to the hospital. We went to the ER (you get in when you get in) and they did an EKG - which showed my heart to be normal. They decided to keep me though and moved me to a room. I continued to have discomfort and they did 3 vials of blood to test the functioning in my body, a CT scan, another EKG, and a stress test. I ended up staying overnight and was there a total of 16 hours. Dane went home during the night to be with the kiddos. Thanks Josh and Kallie for taking the kiddos at the hospital so Dane could concentrate on my condition. Diagnosis - normal and nothing was wrong with my heart - thank goodness. They felt I had a viral infection which can often mimick the signs of a heart attack. Back to Easton - we went into the after hours pediatrician clinic this morning because his feet, hands, and ears had swollen up to huge proportions. They gave him a steroid for 4 days to help with the swelling and continue to give the Benedryl.