Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Gallbladders - Do You Really Need Them?!?!?!

I found out about a week ago that my gallbladder was non-functioning and was operating at 0%. When your gallbladder is at 50% function you are considered low functioning and then from about 20% on down you are considered non-functioning. Well, as you can see my gallbladder is not even pumping because it is not even serving a purpose in my body at this point in time. We met with the general surgeon today and he said based on this information we need to operate and remove the old gallbladder. The gallbladder can be removed without further issues and your body can function just fine without it because the human body accomodates for its absence. So my question is - why do we have gallbladders? Hopefully, all will go well and I will be up and moving soon after the surgery. Goodbye gut aches, hello relief!