Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gallbladder Surgery

I am sure anyone viewing this post is grossed out to the max looking at my gallbladder, but I felt for posterity's sake I needed to have a post about my gallbladder removal. I went in in late June to see a general surgeon who basically said if I didn't want to have complications down the road, the only was to alleviate the problem was to have my gallbladder removed. Between work schedules and trips, I waited 3 weeks after that (crossing my fingers that no attacks would happen in the mean time) and then finally on the 9th of July I had my gallbladder removed. They go in through an incision in your belly button, but also make 3 additional incisions to navigate the laproscopic equipment. I was under anesthesia the whole time and after I hurt pretty bad. They also fill your stomach up with carbon dioxide so they have a clear view of all your organs and part of my post-surgery pain was caused by the gas still left in my body. I had muscle spasms on my right side (where your gallbladder is located) for about 2 days until the gas finally worked it's way out of my body. For those of you out there who have had a c-section I understand that any surgery where your stomach muscles are involved is a sore experience for the first week and gets better after that. Thank goodness for an awesome husband, a very attentive and awesome mom, and good friends. You helped me through a rough couple of weeks, but we did it.
*****Side note - Thanks to Dane and my mom for lifting the kiddos and taking away any lifting activities for the 2 weeks after my surgery. At my follow-up appt the doctor stated that the doctor who looked at my gallbladder post-surgery stated I had a very chronic case of gallbladder inflamation that had gone on for some time. Thank goodness for good doctors and modern-day medicine.*****